Welcome to the Central Coast of California

Central Coast Localite is dedicated to sharing the special aspects of living on the Central Coast from a local's point of view.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Buenas Tardes, Martes

Yellow Cauliflower and Romanesco
Shopping at the Tuesday farmers market in Monterey did not hold its usual charm for me today.  I almost didn't go, but the desire for fresh thai chili inspired me to skip my second nap of the day.  My finds were worth the effort:  fresh snap peas, oranges, strawberries, colored mini calla lillies, and a beauteous romanesco......but not a single thai chili to be had.  I enjoyed my usual small talk with my favorite vendors, and I continue to be amused when they speak to me in Spanish.  It started years ago, when they would greet me in Spanish and I would respond.  The great part is that as a local, they remember me. The only problem is that they remember me as the Spanish speaker I am not.  I'm part to blame for the charade, because I don't want to lose the familiarity.  I can usually stumble through the money part of the conversation.  Then I feel foolish and a fraud and wish my best friend were there to help me our of my conversation quandary.

I am astonished at the lack of etiquette I've experienced at the Tuesday market.  Why must people wander aimlessly, stopping to eat their sample strawberry in the middle of a stream of foot traffic?  At many of my favorite vendor's stands, people pick their produce and thrust their bags at the vendor without even greeting them.  I'm an educator and truly love children, but I don't love it when I am cut off by their parents pushing their double wide high tech strollers while the whole family shares a gyro.  What bothers me the most is the total lack of awareness of others that some people have.

I asked the vendor who sold me snap peas and oranges about the day and he shared my sentiment: "Not a good crowd.  People just here to look."

Bah, humbug.  Better luck on Friday.  In the meantime, tomorrow's menu includes a twist on Mom's Cream of Cauliflower Soup.  I wonder what she would say to see me substitute the giant chartreuse and purple monster pictured above?

No comments:

Post a Comment