Welcome to the Central Coast of California

Central Coast Localite is dedicated to sharing the special aspects of living on the Central Coast from a local's point of view.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

It's a Localite Life


I know many are waiting to hear how the grassfed sauerbraten turned out (you know who you are, and you know your mouth is watering). But see, when it comes to sauerbraten, patience is a virtue.  It is still marinating; today is Day 6.  So, since it is Sauerbraten Eve Day, I spent some time walking around the point in Carmel with a friend and as it turns out, a gazillions of neighbors and Carmel tourists.
Having preemptively burned off calories I fully intend to replenish with sauerbraten and red cabbage, I stopped by Whole Foods on the way home.  I'm planning on serving a raw beet salad with walnuts and persimmons in vinaigrette, so I picked some of these local lovelies as I listened to a Whole Foods employee explaining the importance to purchasing local foods to a group of children from Community Partnerships for Youth, an organization I used to work with as a principal in Seaside.  :)

photo.JPG

So, I was filled nirvana as a former science teacher and middle school principal still high on endorphins from exercise until I checked out my groceries (never mind the total) and the checker asked me if I wanted my beet tops.  (Insert sound of needle scratching on a record here).  I must have been dismayed, because she explained "Sometimes people don't want them, so we cut them off and Clint Eastwood comes by and feeds them to his animals."

............Really?

I ate them sautéed in local olive oil with black beans for supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment